\" escape character

Jan 15, 2010 at 8:11 PM
Edited Jan 15, 2010 at 11:44 PM

I have rows in a CSV that have a " (double quote) text qualifier, \" (backslash + doublequote) escape char and CR+LF row delimiter.

I am reasonably new to SSIS and have been struggling with this file for a couple of days. I moved to the DFS 2008 source in hopes that it would fix all my issues with this.

It has helped enourmously! As I am now able to import data without failure.

However, the data I am getting is still incorrect.

I set the following:

text qualifier = "
escape char = \"

etc, etc.

The escape char doesn't seem to keep. It just reverts to \

I have written a C# script to remove the \", but by the time it gets to the script it is just a \ (no quote), because I set the text qualifier to quote.It seems to remove them both... ??? I can't exactly remove a backslash at that time
because it might be a part of the actual string.

Here is an example row
140,2001543686,"\"Vintage YADA YADA YADA  - blah blah blah blah  - yada yada, 1234567 \"  http://bit.ly/7aHhw","2009-06-02 08:14:06","GreenSpotting","2009-11-17 17:16:55"

I considered running a C# script on the CSV before it even gets to the data flow. This seems like my only option right now, but I prefer not to do double the work, if I am already reading this thing in row by row.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,

Jason
jasonus@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2010 at 7:50 PM

After looking at your post, i went ahead and tried to test the escape character functionality, and ended up having the same issues you mentioned.

I can help you wtih your issue, i'll contact you directly.

Jan 18, 2010 at 7:54 PM
sounds good. thanks

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 3:50 PM, dgranadillo <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

After looking at your post, i went ahead and tried to test the escape character functionality, and ended up having the same issues you mentioned.

I can help you wtih your issue, i'll contact you directly.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (ssisdfs@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email ssisdfs@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

--
Jason Us
jasonus@gmail.com
802-771-7535
Coordinator
Jan 18, 2010 at 9:20 PM

This is indeed an issue!

Quite a big one in fact, in that although I ask for an escape character on the UI I don't actually use it anywhere in the component!

I'll look to add and test this functionality over the next few days. I'll let you know when it's done.

Regards,
Rob

Jan 18, 2010 at 10:12 PM

excellent. I'd be happy to help test

Feb 10, 2010 at 1:06 PM
Rob,

Just wondering if you ever got around to modifying the component?

Thanks much, 

Jason

On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 5:20 PM, roblad <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

This is indeed an issue!

Quite a big one in fact, in that although I ask for an escape character on the UI I don't actually use it anywhere in the component!

I'll look to add and test this functionality over the next few days. I'll let you know when it's done.

Regards,
Rob

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (ssisdfs@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email ssisdfs@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

--
Jason Us
jasonus@gmail.com
802-771-7535